If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Who I should marry.....??!?!! Peace love and Meaningful Moments

Ten.
A counseling session with a 10 year old girl turned into a talk about boys and personal life. I love listening to my students dreams....even though it has taken a long time for them to think of what they want to do after school, or when they get bigger, just because they were never asked before. ITs always assumed they will live with their parents and possibly work if they are lucky(kids with special needs atleast) but I want my students to start thinking of their lives...not just their life in school. I asked Venus the other day what she wants to do when she grows up...she wants teach to make "enough enough" money. I say thats a good idea...now how can we get you to that? She first says she needs someone to plait her hair so she looks nice. She asks me if i know how and I say, sorry but I dont. She then asks if I have a dad that knows how, and then continues down the line to find out that not even my uncle knows how.... I tell her ill ask around, and she could do the same, maybe her friend would know how? She then says, "well do you have a daughter my age that could do it?!" and i respond with a, NOPE, no kids. (Man im getting it from a 10 year old now!) She says, Well do you have a husband? He might know someone. ANd i say i am not married either. Then she says...you know what, i think you should get married. And I say...oh yeah, to who? And she thinks real hard for a minute and then says.... To a Chinese man.....he would fight for you!
I still dont know how to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment