If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kittens and Cake and everything Bright!

Thirty5
Kittens. Oh kittens. I woke up one morning to three outside my back door. They were so scared at first and their meows were so weak. Two of them were gray mixed and one was all black. I decided I loved them, and it didn’t take much. I gave them some of the left over kitten formula I had from Pillar. I served it up and their hunger over powered their fear. I did this for a few days before trying to pick them up, and once I did I never wanted to let go. I named the bravest one Skippy John, the shyest one Poquito Tito, and the one in all black who was the most curious, Don Diego. (the names come from one of my favorite kids books: Skippy John Jones). Ayyyy sooooo cutie!!!!!!

Thrity Six
Dear brightly colored sports bras,
You change my life.
When I put you on I feel happy and whole and ready to sweat
I want to wear you and only you.
It’s the little things in life, that make the biggest difference.
Like bright pink.

37. Yesterday was Stefans birthday.
I told him I would make him a cake for him to share out.
He came over with 10 of his friends and waited patiently on the picnic table for it to be ready.
I made a strawberry banana cake.
As it was finishing I could see the happiness in his eyes. For this cake, for this moment, for the feeling of being special. And he is.
We sang happy birthday on my door step, kids sitting around him as I held the cake and a match for him to blow out because I didn’t have a candle. We sang loud and we sang quietly. And then we ate.
We finished faster than it took to cut it. Kids and cake is one of the fastest disappearing acts.
Then we made our way down the street to drop everyone off at home. Oh how easy it was for Marvelas hand to find mine.
I took in that very moment, the breeze on my checks, kids all around me, marvelas hand holding mine tight and Stefans birthday eyes so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment