If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Meaningful Moments: LIMBO

Twelve.
It’s a Tuesday afternoon at 5:30 p.m Its that time of the day that just feels righ on your skin. The sun is setting and the air is still warm..but more of a hug your body make you feel safe kinda warm. I walk down 43 to collect the gang for our weekly walk. This is what it looks like : Jaheim runs outta control flailing his arms and laughing until the end of the street, Richard is grabbing my arm to pull it around him and tuck his head as close to me as he can, Marvela finds space for her hand in mind, Floyd begins with a “watch this juliannnne” and guns it. The rest of the gang falls into place around us all. We head out on the backdam side, less traffic, just as many cows. Today two pigs were scurrying pretty quickly which was scaring MJ who we passed on a bike.(a 2 year old) and his brother. Raquel had an umbrella in her hand as the sky looked like rain, but felt like days of sun. I quickly grabbed the other side of the umbrella and just like that our walk magically turned into a limbo contest. Ollie made faces ive never seen before, joy held the other side, and all the kids got excited as they barely made it under this relatively high and moving limbo stick.They lined up…sort of, one by one as people on bikes and cars stared.. The gang had nothing on their minds but facing that stick and makin their way under. They were succesfull, they were not….they laughed so loud I think I felt it in my own belly. Faces that were made could never be re- done or undone for that fact. I wish I could put that memory into a jar and pass it around a circle to everyone and have them smile just as big and long as I did that evening…It’s Memories like this that could never be forgotten. Kids laughing, the street dancing around us, and an umbrella for a limbo stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment