If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

I love you baby=my new name

MAN, GUYANA IS HOT! I think I am going to start counting the bottles of baby powder I go through here because I feel like its the only thing that keeps my skin semi dry.....:)!!!

So big changes…= I got on a speedboat from Supenam to Vreed en hoop singing "Mi Got one coal pot in mi belly tak em out lemme see" Its pretty comical to dance to and it involves lots of belly rubbing. We had our last few days of training at Aracari and this was the time I met my counterpart, Zoya. She is the headmistress at the Special Needs school and is FABULOUS. After training we went to a theater in Georgetown where the swearing in ceremony took place. We read an oath out loud with our right hand up and then

ITS OFFICIAL!!! after shimming across the stage(literally) I am now a Peace Corps Volunteer.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...which means I’m going to get really good at killing cockroaches and waking up to tarantulas on my pillow. It was hard leaving the other volunteers but I cant even explain how happy I was to be on my way to work in a school and train teachers...its been quite a mind trip going from student teaching...to teaching....to training teachers all in a years time..

Then, the next day(Wednesday)I traveled from Georgetown to New Amsterdam...my home for the next two years. Its the best of both worlds here. Driving in every 15 feet you feel as if you are in a different place. The homes vary door to door ;rundown wooden "shacks" to cement beautiful houses. Cows are on the sides of the streets and goats awkwardly try to cross without getting hit by a car...or horse.
I got to my place and I walked up to the gate and from the outside it seemed like it could be home...but when I walked in all I saw was a door being locked by a 2x4 and a broken chair. I walked around and noticed that the walls literally looked as if someone pooped on their hands and spread it on the walls. It was empty and unsafe and for the first time I felt not so ready for this life here.
So I made my way up to look at my bed frame and as I moved it 17 cockroaches came scurrying about.
I didn’t know how to react. I felt alone and I couldn’t find a stick big enough to kill all of them.So I sat on my suitcase and thought to myself " this is your life. this is what you always wanted, do not let this break you."

So I didn’t let it. I called another volunteer and her place had two rooms. She welcomed me without hesitation. With that I realized the true beauty of this world lies in people.

I couldnt have been more thankful at that moment. I just breathed in deep and opened my eyes to the wonderful that really is here. The people are so welcoming(and curious) and even though I can’t walk down the street without a cab driver whispering “chubby” at me, or hearing "baby i love you" yelled at me, I truly do believe that this is where I am meant to be…atleast for the next 2 years. 

The next day I saw the school I’ll be teaching at!!
The minute I walked in the gate I smiled. The "playground" was covered in broken swings and long green grass. The school itself is this bright baby blue building with 6 classrooms inside, that each have chalkboards and quite a few desks..some are broken The library is one bookshelf. There is no running water, and there are 5 computers that sometimes work…but to tell you the truth its more than I expected!

Its been an emotional rollercoaster over the last few days...and its crazy to think that if I never came here…I never would have felt these things or experienced how challenged I can be.
I feel as if my future could be anything and that I can direct it whichever way I choose. It’s the most powerful I have ever felt in my life...to take charge of my own world and reality. I wish everyone could have the ability to experience life in this view point. I really do believe that the world would be a more giving place if we were all forced outside our comfort zones.

I think I have encountered enough unexpected surprises to hold me over for now....but man I would love to go on an Easter egg hunt right about now.


Peace, Love and New Begginings!

No comments:

Post a Comment