If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Between Black outs

Blackouts= no electricity, sometimes for hours, sometimes for minutes...sometimes for days.Either way they really do control what happens in my life...
well not control, maybe just take away a few of my smiles...especially at night when the fan goes off...the fan of which I have to tuck into my mosquito net with me, otherwise I do not feel a thing in the 90++++++ degree heat.
One good thing about blackouts in my mosquito net however, is it forces me to entertain myself, and I am getting REALLLY good at finger shadow puppets..seriously..you should see my jelly fish.

Its rainy season, which means massive amounts of mosquitoes, tons of puddles that leave me up to my knees in mud by the time I get to work, but still the sun peaks its way out to heat up my skin on my 40 minute walk to work in the morning.

Car horns blast past, almost as loud as the rum shop music at night, and cars slow down to "sip" and greet me with "gud mawnings!"and "alright" and awkward exchanges of words.
Today I was told , by a self proclaimed "Roti-Man" ,that he would make me as much Roti as I wanted if i gave him my number and was his friend...he also promised me "many other nice things." It was a hard decision to say no, being a fat kid and all. :)but I managed to get away with an empty stomach and an phone that does not ring ever 3 minutes.

As I walk on my eyes take me to the sky...I love the way the coconut trees look against blue, but the trenches by my feet quickly remind me of the poverty surrounding...and the cows diarrhea(sp??) on my feet and legs pretty much make me want to not be a vegetarian anymore....

When I get to school an overwhelming feeling encompasses my mind. There is much to do!!! But where to start?!?!?


Well, for starters: The inclusion certification program for the Department of Ed is on its way into creation!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I went to Georgetown last week, to see a module in a different program, and it gave me a good idea as to what I want to accomplish throughout this year long training for Region 6 primary school teachers along with the VSO! so OWOWOW :)

Other than work, The morning paper this week consists of a woman being pushed out of a car by her husband and ran over, graphic pictures to follow. At the clinic a girl who was gang raped and pregnant, is being forced to marry one of her rapists by her father, so the charges will be dropped...my neighbors cousin died yesterday from drunk driving a moped and hitting a cow....this is Guyana?


Things I miss this week:
family, beer, friends, wine, living without so many insects, and understanding people when we talk

Things I love this week:
hammock time!(i hung mine up this week, i officially moved in last Wednesday), no copyright laws=iron man 2 up in my house!! OWOWO, kids saying funnnnny funnny things, eating popcorn for dinner...and breakfast.


Peace love and Massive amounts of mosquitoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment