If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Peace Love and Meaningful Moments

Meaningful Moments

I have many of them here. Maybe because I search for meaning in things and places and people more now. Maybe because I am just lucky.

I have moments here that I’ve realized I'd like to share. Moments that can’t be captured really just in pictures or words, but feeling and smells, eyes and exchanges.

I want to start sharing them with you. Maybe 100 of them. Maybe 100 meaningful moments and with that I will write a book. Why not?

Gotta Start Somewhere:

One.
I was walking home from the market on a Sunday morning. The time was about 8:30 a.m. and the sun was already doing its trick of warming up the space around me. I was swallowing the air..it was thick enough to chew, as one my boys rides up on his bike to cycle with me home. His name is Steffan, he is 11 years old and happy happy happy all the time. He asks where I am from again , and if it is hot there like it is here. I take in the heat and surroundings and with that moment I realize it is spring in Wisconsin. Early April . I ask him, “have you ever heard of seasons?” he replies “ yah” and I respond with “ can you tell me the name of one?” He thinks for a minute, the sun making his eyes squint and he now moves down from the seat of the bike to the bar to sit(which looks completely uncomfortable if you ask me) and then he says “Guinep Season?”.
And with that I realize so much. That my entire life I lived in seasons that guided me throughout the year and they all pertained to weather. And now, I am living my 2nd year in a place where all year long the weather is hot hot hot and the seasons are guided by food. Foods are the seasons of change….Its a fat kids dream..and Mango has to be my favorite season of all..well, I guess its tied with fall.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for 2-100! Your writing is amazing, you can be a future best seller and open the eyes of so many ppl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the book sissy. Mangos are my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete