If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What a week can do...

I got home on Sunday Evening after working on Peace Corps 50th Anniversary exhibits and what not all weekend. I walked into the gate and approximately 4 mins later there was a knock at the door…To my surprise it was my landlady, Dookram. Dookram is a 70++ year old woman that sells at the market. She is large, has few teeth, and wears few articles of clothing.
I open the door, “Hi, Dookram, how ya day go?” I say.
She walks away, her back turned towards me and sits down on the bench, away from me.
“ Two kids came by yesterday…I told them you weren’t home and that they shouldn’t come back….. Then 8 kids came back minutes later…I told them that I don’t wan them in my yard and that they cant come back here. I don’t want to have kids in my yard. I don’t want to see them here.”
I’m speechless for a second. “ Okay, you don’t want them in your yard, that’s okay. They are still going to come over though, because I teach them lessons every week and we have play time.”
“ You shouldn’t be teaching them lessons, their parents should be, not you. I don’t want kids here.” Was her response.
I repeated that they are going to do lessons here…and she began to rant about how she wants to find someone to live here that doesn’t “deal with children”…And that’s the beginning of my week.

Monday I go to school with optimism in each pocket..and a little in my bra too for safe keeping, and face the school day.
3 teachers are gone. I get all their classes. About an hour into the day the HM comes in. She interrupts me reading a story to say “ Your hair doesn’t look good.”
So I am apparently having a bad hair day, teachers aren’t coming to school because there is no leadership, and once again I feel the optimism seeping through my pockets onto the floor.
I cant make anyone care. That’s true.

I can change attitudes to make people happier, and hopefully care a little more?!??

I sit down with the HM on Tuesday. Im nice, I don’t use any negative statements eventhough I feel a lot it, and the day ends with a plan to improve, things to work towards, people feeling like they can accomplish things. Improvement. This is the 3rd time we’ve been down this road, lets hope 3rd times a charm?!?

Wednesday flies by..and soon Thursday comes and off I am with two of my students to see a probation officer, the social worker and their mother. We walk in after a 25 minute walk, into the room with the probation officer, Ms. Shephard. The mother comes in a second later, whom I have never met, and whom we walked by seconds before without a word being exchanged to her or her sons. After almost, but not being slapped, I get her permission to take them to the psychiatric hosipital. I set up an appointment for 10. We don’t get there till 10:30, but the doctor isn’t there anyway. The doctor in fact doesn’t come til 12:30, and even though they asked about 8 times for me to come back with them, we waited. Dr. Mayda walks in. She is Cuban, like most doctors here. She meets with the boys for 15 mins. Asking them questions about how they are, why they are here, what have they been doing. And she keeps all the notes in a file for just one of the boys, even though they have both been here, there is only one file. She decides on medication. 3 different pills.
I ask her, “What medicine are giving them? What is it for? What is the diagnosis?”

Oh they are Mentally Retarded. These pills will help their mood.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Really?!?

I wanted to swear but didn’t. Thanked her, and now had pills in my hand and a 40 minutes walk back to the school.

They are not mentally retarded. They are smart, and funny and honest…and just need someone to guide them.

Ayyyiiiiayyyyiiiiii


Friday came. Awesome day with the Sign Class. Discussed girls and boys and relationships. Its funny in sign. I signed the word sexy and Anthony, (who is 14) told me I cant say that word because I am not married and its bad.

Friday night came. Kids came over and we colored. I bought a new Scooby Doo Coloring book. So cooolllllllllllllllllllllllllll


The Brewers 2 for 3 victory over the cubs this weekend was my favorite part.

Peace Love and a Week

1 comment:

  1. Dookram=sucky.
    HM=extra sucky.
    Doctor=dumb sucky.

    Your attitude towards life and the bad things=a pocket full of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete