If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Peace Love and Meaningful Moments

Four.
The night was stealing sleep from my body, as I woke up in a bed, In one piece, in good health, with my friends and family in my thoughts and prayers. The air was warm, the breeze was light. There was no sound in the air except for animals, and a rooster that was crowing at 4:30 a.m.(roosters in Guyana have to be the dumbest animals ever) anywho. I was awake, it was early morning and I wanted to see the morning sunrise. I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, and put my hair up in a nubkin pony tail because I only have 5 pieces and headed out the door in flip flops and pjs. I get to my gate and unlock it and step outside. To my surprise I look over to my right and meet the gaze of 3 men, my neighbors. They are sitting outside, in silence. I approach them with a bit of a hesitant goodmorning. They respond with smiles and morning as well, and asked me what I was doing out so early. I responded with I wanted to see the sunrise and then asked them the same. They told me that they get up every morning at 3:3o or so and come out there and sit with eachother. Sometimes they talk, sometimes they are silent, but mostly they are there to enjoy eachothers company and bring in the new day with eachother. What a brilliant idea I thought. Its hard enough for me to get out of bed at 6, but they find it easy, because they enjoy those moments when they first get up and know exactly who they are going to start the day with and when. I love that idea, and believe each of us should have moments that start are day on the right foot. Just maybe not at 3:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment