If you love life, life will love you right back...

Peace Corps, Guyana!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Peace Love and Meaningful Moments

Eight
Sunday morning, caterpillar and I are snuggling in bed while I do some work on the computer. My fan is going, people are marching away, and banging upstairs, and then I hear it. The knock gets louder and louder and more rapid. I get up, leave pillar in a blanket cocoon and unlock my door. To my surprise it is a 9 year old girl I do not know, and her smile is so big. Her Grandma has sent her to collect me for church. I am not dressed for the service that starts in ten minutes, and Kirsten also needed to come over to get her keys. I told the girl I wouldn’t be able to make it today, but tell her thanks so much for coming. She stands there smiling, and then I ask her her name. She responds with “ My name is Nicolette” She then stands there for a second longer and asks “ Please for some water” I say of course and she can come in. She looks up at the map and says to me “ I am not Guyanese, I am from Antigua.” You see that flag up to the left, that’s my countries flag. I giggle and say well do you know where Antigua is on the map, have you ever seen one of these maps? She says know, so I explain that it’s the worlds map and then point out the different continents, where I am from, where we are, and then show her exactly where she is from. Her eyes get big and and I can see her excitement. She tells me next year she is going to be baptized there, and this summer she is flying out. I tell her that’s happening fast, and she says yes. She came over here to spend time with her grandma after her grandpa passed away last year. This summer they are both flying back to Antigua. I say that’s very nice of her to come and stay with her Grandma for so long. And she said its easy, Grandma makes everything fun. Very fun. That made me smile so big, because I thought of my own Grandmother. She then asked if I had ever been to another Caribbean country and I said no I haven’t, but id love to go visit, especially Antigua. She looked at me with bright eyes and said very slowly, “ so you will come then, for a visit?” I looked at her and said id have to find out how much plane tickets cost, as well as maybe ask my own grandma to join us. Because I agree. Grandmas do make everything fun, very fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment